>

serendipitous reflections

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bone marrow donation

Jeni and I put ourselves on the national bone marrow donor registry about 10 years ago when we were living in Davenport. And then nothing happened for a long long time -- almost to the point that, if not for a patient who was involved with the donor program, I would have forgotten we were on the list. Then a few months ago I got a call from the National Marrow Donor Program. It turned out that I was a possible match for a sick five-year-old boy. I donated some blood for additional testing. It was a hurry-up-and-wait situation, and it felt like I waited forever to find out if I was an ideal match. Well, we got a letter in the mail last week ... it was vague on details, but for one of a variety of reasons, they don't need me as a donor right now (the boy could be doing better, he might be ill, it might not be the right time). Still, it was pretty humbling to think that I could help this boy, that a little bit of me might help him live a better life. I really can't think of a better thing to do than give a little of myself to make someone else's life better. I hope he's getting better, wherever he is.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home