>

serendipitous reflections

Monday, May 02, 2005

Summertime dream


This cake brings back so many memories for me. Every time I eat it all I can think about is my mom. This was her "summer go-to cake." I have such fond memories of sitting on our back deck eating this cake on a warm summer evenings. If my mom got unexpected company, she could through this cake together in no time. Honestly I had forgot how easy it is to make because it doesn't have to be iced perfectly, and the taste stands alone. The cake is so moist and the frosting is light and fluffy. This was probably the first cake I every made. So here's to you, mom! (Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the cake whole and decorated. This picture doesn't do it justice.)

Mandarin Orange Cake
1 box yellow cake mix (I use butter flavored)
4 eggs
3/4 C Crisco oil
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges with juice

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes. Put in 3 8" cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Let the cakes completely on cool rakes before frosting.

Frosting
1 med can crushed pineapple, drained
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 (12 oz) Cool Whip
1 (11 oz) mandarin orange, for decoration

Mix pineapple and pudding with a spoon. Fold in Cool Whip. Frost between layers, then finish frosting the outside and decorate with mandarin orange*.

Keep the cake covered and chilled.

*Make sure the oranges have been drained and dries before decorating the cake with them. If not, they will slide right off the cake.
Posted by Hello

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home