>

serendipitous reflections

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding


A big thanks goes out to Paula Deen for this one! It's beyond fantastic. The Pepperidge Farms Chessman cookies make this dessert. Their buttery taste adds so much to the banana pudding. And you all know how much I love anything with cream cheese in it. This pudding will be a hit at any event-- I promise. Banana pudding always makes me feel like I'm at my dad's family reunion. When we were little, my dad's family had a big family reunion Labor Day weekend. Everyone would bring a dish or two or three, and there were always a couple of different banana puddings - yum-o! Unfortunately, now the reunions are catered, and people just bring desserts. Now don't get me wrong, the desserts are good, but I can't remember the last time there was banana pudding there. Maybe I'll try to figure out a way to take this next year.

I have just a couple of tips to share. I would buy three bags of cookies because I have found that sometimes the bottom layer of cookies in the bag are badly broken. It you don't care what the end product looks like, then don't worry about getting the third bag. Also Paula used homemade whip cream, I have use Cool Whip and homemade-- they both work and taste great. Make sure your cream cheese is softened; it will be lumpy if it's not.

Enjoy!


Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
6 to 8 bananas, sliced
2 cups milk
1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home