>

serendipitous reflections

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Kindness

I try to be kind to everyone I encounter, and respect others. Sometimes this leads to a feeling of being taken advantage of. While driving to work I thought to myself, "Do not mistake my kindness for weakness." Unwittingly, I was quoting to some degree both the Dalai Lama and Al Capone. 

The Dalai Lama said, "Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness for weakness. Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." Al Capone said it with a little more force, "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me." 

Most days I'm more in line with the Dalai Lama, but every once in a while I want to be a little more Al Capone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home