>

serendipitous reflections

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Cycling

I wish I had discovered cycling earlier. When Jeni and I moved from Bluefield, Va. to Davenport, Ia. we bought some mountain bikes from Sears. They weren't great bikes -- they weren't junk, just not great. Mountain bikes were the thing to buy back then, too. There was a great bike trail in Davenport not far from our apartment where we first lived. Unfortunately, I think we only rode our bikes twice there. They were new, but probably needed tuning from day one, and I know that spoiled some of the experience.

Now, 18 years later, we have a true love for cycling. We are constantly seeking exciting places to ride our road bikes. We like the road bikes, going fast and far, like a kid again. I wish Columbia, SC was more bike friendly. We are always looking for good places to go ride, and while we ride at Fort Jackson, regulations are making that more difficult. We found a few routes in York County about an hour up the road, and are looking forward to exploring.

In October we will be participating in the Bike MS Breakaway to the Beach for the second year in a row. Last year we biked 100 miles over two days (50 miles each day). This year our goal is to do 100 miles the first day and 25 the next. I hope we can do it. We'll start training for it soon. As much as I always liked being active, I never considered myself an athlete. But that's starting to change.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home