>

serendipitous reflections

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Further proof that we should avoid high fructose corn syrup

Jeni and I have, for the most part, given up soft drinks. Now don't get me wrong, we love Coke. Some people come home from a challenging day at work and need their beer or martini. No, I crave a nice fizzy glass of Coke. But we've parted ways, and all for the better. A while back, I began to notice a feeling of tightness in my chest when I would drink a lot of Coke. And when I fall off the wagon and get back on the Coke I gain five pounds pretty quickly.  And now there's this study by UCLA that further highlights the negative affects of high fructose corn syrup. Yes, HFCS is in things other than Coke, but your soft drink is such a fast and efficient mode of delivery that I use it as my example. I praise places like Earthfare that will not carry anything that contains HFCS. It's a challenge, like avoiding aspertame, because HFCS is so prevalent, but the benefits make it worth it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home