>

serendipitous reflections

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Largest full moon of the year

Thursday we will have the largest full moon of the year. Space Weather explains why, and according to them, "the Moon's orbit is an ellipse with one side 30,000 miles closer to Earth than the other. The full Moon of Oct. 25-26 is located on the near side, making it appear as much as 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser full Moons we've seen earlier in 2007."

Last year when this occurred we were up in Big Canoe with Tiffany and I remember pulling over on the side of the road by the lake up there and staring in amazement at how much the moon filled the sky. I tried in vain to get a picture of the moon, but it was so bright that it gave my camera fits. (Supposedly you can't really take pictures of the moon easily at all, and I think I confirmed that.) So take a few minutes Thursday, step outside and stare up at the sky.

---

Speaking of weather and such, during my lunch I was driving to the bank and it was finally raining here. As I passed USC's campus, I passed a guy on a scooter holding an umbrella over his head while driving down the road. It's moments like this that make me wish I had a camera with me at all times.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home